What taxes you need to pay.

Do I Have to Pay Taxes?

You have to pay taxes, just like everyone else who works in the United States, but you don’t have to pay all of them. It is up to you to tell your Host Company which taxes you should and should not pay. The chart below provides a simple breakdown.

Taxes you should NOT pay:

  • Social Security Tax
  • Medicare
  • Federal Unemployment

Taxes you MUST pay:

  • Federal Income Tax
  • State Income Tax
  • City Income Tax

When you arrive at your Host Company, you will be asked to complete two important tax documents, the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form and the W-4 Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate. Your supervisor or the HR department at your Host Company can assist you with those forms.

Be sure to indicate your permanent address in your home country when completing the W-4 form. This will ensure that your Host Company has the correct address to send your W-2 Statement of Earnings at the end of the year. If your Host Company insists that you complete your W-4 using an address in the United States, be sure to also give them your permanent home address for their records.